Are you hurting?…in need of someone who cares? someone who listens?
Our congregation’s Stephen Ministry equips lay people to provide confidential, one-to-one Christian care to individuals in our congregation and community who are experiencing difficulties in their lives.
Stephen Ministers care for people facing tough times
We all experience challenges in life—times when we could benefit from the support of a caring Christian friend. Stephen Ministers are ready to provide the emotional and spiritual care we need when faced with a crisis or difficulty, such as:
- Loss of a loved one
- Divorce or separation
- Loneliness or discouragement
- Spiritual crises
- Unemployment or a job crisis
- A terminal illness
- Birth, adoption, miscarriage, or infertility
- A chronic illness
- Recovery after an accident
- And many more
Stephen Ministry is a confidential ministry
The identity of those receiving care and the discussions they have with their Stephen Minister remains private. A Stephen Minister is:
- A child of God who walks beside a person who is hurting
- A congregation member with gifts for caregiving.
- A lay person who has received 50 hours of training in providing emotional and spiritual care.
- A caring, Christian friend who listens, cares, prays, supports, and encourages.
- Someone who will “be there” for his or her care receiver, meeting faithfully for about an hour each week, for as long as there is a need.
Stephen Ministry is your ministry
You play an important role in our Stephen Ministry. Here’s what you can do:
- Pray for God to bring hope and healing to hurting people through our Stephen Ministry.
- Accept care from a Stephen Minister during your time of need. God doesn’t expect you to bear your burdens alone.
- Tell a friend, neighbor, coworker, or relative who is hurting about our Stephen Ministry.
- If you are a good listener and a compassionate person, prayerfully consider becoming a Stephen Minister.
Stephen Minister leaders are:
Trained leaders in our congregation who oversee and direct our Stephen Ministers.
Stephen Ministry multiplies ministry
Pastors will always be on the front lines of care, especially during times of crisis. But there are always many more needs for ongoing one-to-one care than pastors can effectively meet by themselves.
Stephen Ministry provides a biblical solution—equipping God’s people for ministry. Gifted lay people are trained to support and extend the care that pastors continue to provide.
Stephen Ministers reach out with God’s love to people who are hurting—both congregation members and nonmembers alike.